Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Getting Out of My Own Head

Why do we as women often become overwhelmed by nothing? At times, I have been known to become over-emotional because I let my irrational feelings stew and fester until the originating culprit becomes unrecognizable. In other words, I forget what started the whole emotional roller coaster in the first place.

For some of us, we worry too much over little things, or we over-analyze situations and make something dramatic out of nothing. For others, we try too hard and become disappointed when our expectations are not met. I myself have been guilty of all of these and other self-indulgent behaviors at some time or another.

We need to remind ourselves of God's amazing love for us, and how sufficient it truly is.

         10 I seek you with all my heart;
           do not let me stray from your commands. -Psalm 119:10

         14 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
           I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name."  -Psalm 91:14

         31 My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to hear your words,
        but they do not put them into practice. Their mouths speak of love, but their hearts are
        greedy for unjust gain. 32 Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love
        songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but
        do not put them into practice.  -Ezekiel 33:31-32

All through the Psalms, God's love for us is expressed over and over again. So how do we really learn and accept this fact so deeply that we're able to live accordingly and never forget?

1) By studying His word regularly, and memorizing such verses
2) By praying that our hearts will be open to His words
3) By writing down those verses that speak to us
4) By fellow believers holding each other accountable. In our ungrateful behavior, as well as our relationships with Christ.

So what do you need accountability and prayer in? Make an effort to reach out to a spouse, family member or friend and ask for accountability in these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment