Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Feeling a Cold or Allergies Sneaking Up on You?

I get a little stuffy in the morning sometimes. Or I notice that I'm sneezing a lot. Or I've got a little tingle in back of my throat.  When these bothersome symptoms make an appearance, I reach for my Neti Pot (see at left). Don't be scared, it's not even close to being a new concept, though it is foreign. It's been used in India and other regions for hundreds of years. It uses warm saline to rinse impurities and pesky cold germs from your sinuses and nasal cavity.

I know, it sounds weird, gross and unpleasant. But I assure you that it is not. I'm able to breath freely through my mouth when using it. And with a little practice, I was able to manipulate the flow down my pharynx, into my mouth to get rid of the pesky scratchy throat.

People with bad allergies have found great relief when using the Neti Pot regularly. But... it is possible to over do it. Make sure the water isn't too hot, only warm. There is also beneficial bacteria in there that you don't want to strip away completely.

This is only my personal recommendation based on my experience. If you're unsure, ask your doctor. But I've had great success with it. They come in travel size, plastic and ceramic.

Oh, and for all of you Dr. Oz fans, he recommends it as well. He introduced it to the American public on Oprah a couple years ago. Since then, it's become all the craze here.

No comments:

Post a Comment